← NewsAll
Harvey Weinstein weighing plea after judge declines to overturn conviction
Summary
A judge refused to overturn one of Harvey Weinstein's New York convictions, and Weinstein is weighing a potential guilty plea as a March 3 retrial is scheduled for an unresolved rape charge.
Content
A judge in New York has denied Harvey Weinstein's request to overturn a previous conviction, and the former film producer is considering a guilty plea to resolve an unresolved charge. The decision follows a split jury verdict last year that included one conviction, one acquittal and one charge on which jurors could not reach a verdict. Weinstein told the court he acknowledged being unfaithful but denied assaulting anyone. Court filings and exchanges during the trial included juror complaints about tense deliberations.
Court developments:
- Judge Curtis Farber denied the defence motion to overturn a conviction arising from allegations dating to 2006.
- The same jury previously acquitted Weinstein on a separate 2006 allegation and failed to reach a verdict on a 2013 charge. A new trial on the unresolved third-degree rape charge is scheduled for March 3.
- Weinstein's lawyers said they want to pursue plea negotiations; the judge allowed time for consideration.
- Weinstein is being held in New York and is also appealing a separate conviction in Los Angeles.
Summary:
The immediate legal picture is that the judge rejected the defence challenge to the earlier verdict, and Weinstein is weighing a plea while a March 3 retrial date remains on the calendar. Undetermined at this time is whether plea negotiations will resolve the unresolved charge before that scheduled trial.
