← NewsAll
B.C. RV fire victim faces long road to rehabilitation
Summary
Nanaimo fire officials reported the camper was already engulfed when crews arrived; the 69-year-old occupant remains in the Royal Jubilee Hospital burn unit after multiple grafting surgeries and a tracheotomy.
Content
On Dec. 9, 2025, a camper van south of Nanaimo caught fire and the occupant was severely burned. Fire officials said the camper was already engulfed when crews arrived. The 69-year-old man was airlifted to a Victoria hospital and later transferred to the burn unit at Royal Jubilee Hospital after nearly a month in intensive care. His daughter says he has had multiple grafting surgeries and a tracheotomy and faces a lengthy rehabilitation.
Key details:
- Nanaimo Fire Rescue reported the camper was already engulfed when crews arrived.
- The man was airlifted to Victoria and spent 28 days in intensive care before transfer to the burn unit at Royal Jubilee Hospital.
- Family members report he has undergone multiple grafting surgeries and a tracheotomy and remains in ongoing medical care.
- His daughter says he had been living in an older motorhome because of limited income, lost his possessions in the fire, and is working with the hospital social worker while fundraising for recovery and housing.
Summary:
The injuries have left the man requiring ongoing medical care and a long rehabilitation period. Family members report he lost his belongings in the fire and are working with a hospital social worker to arrange housing while fundraising is under way. Undetermined at this time.
