← NewsAll
Nova Scotia still behind on disability remedy plan
Summary
A progress report says Nova Scotia is behind on several targets in its five-year remedy plan for people with disabilities, and the plan's final legal deadline is March 31, 2028.
Content
More than halfway through a five-year plan to change supports for people with disabilities, a recent progress report finds Nova Scotia is behind on several targets. The plan — commonly called the remedy — was agreed in 2023 after a 2021 court ruling that found systemic discrimination. Advocates say the pace has left people waiting to move out of institutional settings and into community-based supports. The province says it is proud of work done so far and is confident it will meet the plan's goals.
Key facts:
- The Disability Rights Coalition said the province missed benchmarks on moving people out of large institutional settings, creating new community-based supports and hiring specialized staff.
- The provincial government said timelines are helpful markers but that the remedy's final deadline is the only legal requirement and it remains confident it will meet that deadline.
- The remedy was agreed in 2023 following a 2021 Nova Scotia Court of Appeal ruling, and the plan's final deadline is March 31, 2028.
- The government reported it has spent $200 million in the past two years and announced a new home-share program as part of the plan.
Summary:
Advocates remain disappointed with the pace of change while the province emphasizes its confidence in meeting the remedy's legal deadline. The next major legal milestone is the remedy's final deadline on March 31, 2028.
