← NewsAll
New federal auto task force to include Ontario, minister says
Summary
The federal government will set up a new auto task force that will include the Ontario government, and it will examine car manufacturing, investment, jobs and electrification, Industry Minister Mélanie Joly said.
Content
The federal government announced a new auto task force in Toronto on Monday. Industry Minister Mélanie Joly said the task force is intended to help protect jobs and coordinate a national auto strategy with the Ontario government. She said it will look at the future of car manufacturing, investment, jobs and electrification. Details and a timeline for the task force have not yet been released.
Key details:
- The task force will include the Ontario government and is meant to help coordinate efforts when Ottawa presents a new auto strategy, Joly said.
- It will examine issues such as the future of car manufacturing, investment, jobs and electrification.
- Joly said the task force aims to protect the workforce, in particular unionized workers, and to ensure trade works for workers.
- The announcement followed a closed-door meeting between Joly and Ontario Premier Doug Ford, and Joly said she has met with Lana Payne, national president of Unifor.
- Premier Doug Ford said he met Prime Minister Mark Carney earlier in the day and described the meeting as productive; Ford has previously criticized a Canada-China electric vehicle tariff agreement.
Summary:
The task force signals a coordinated effort by federal and provincial officials to address pressures on the auto sector and the transition to electrification. Details on membership, specific measures and timing are undetermined at this time. Ottawa has said it will present a new auto strategy, and the task force is intended to coordinate with Ontario when that strategy is presented.
