← NewsAll
Venezuela: Rubio says Maduro capture addressed an untenable situation
Summary
Secretary of State Marco Rubio told a Senate committee that U.S. forces seized President Nicolás Maduro on Jan. 3 and the administration is now engaging with interim leader Delcy Rodriguez while saying it does not expect further U.S. military action; congressional efforts to limit such action have so far failed.
Content
Secretary of State Marco Rubio testified to a U.S. Senate committee about the U.S. operation that seized then‑President Nicolás Maduro on Jan. 3 and the diplomatic steps that followed. Delcy Rodriguez, a Maduro ally, was sworn in as interim president after the capture, and the Trump administration has said it is engaging with Venezuela's new leaders. Rubio told senators he did not expect further U.S. military action and described communications with Venezuelan officials as respectful. Lawmakers raised questions about the scope and oversight of U.S. operations and related policies.
Key points:
- U.S. forces carried out a raid on Jan. 3 that led to the capture of Nicolás Maduro, according to officials.
- Delcy Rodriguez was sworn in as interim president and U.S. officials have been in contact with her government.
- Marco Rubio told the Senate committee he does not expect the U.S. to undertake further military action at this time.
- Some members of Congress expressed concern about oversight, the handling of Venezuelan oil sales, and legal scrutiny of past strikes.
Summary:
U.S. officials describe a shift from direct military operations to diplomatic engagement with Venezuela's interim leadership, while Congress continues to raise questions about oversight and legality. Undetermined at this time.
