← NewsAll
Quebec secularism laws hinder progress, mosque attack survivor says
Summary
A survivor of the 2017 Quebec City mosque attack says recent provincial secularism laws have increased Islamophobia and complicated efforts at community healing, and the ninth anniversary will include municipal and mosque commemorations.
Content
Nearly nine years after the 2017 shooting at the Islamic Cultural Centre in Quebec City, survivor Aymen Derbali remains focused on recovery, family and community work. He lives with paralysis from the attack and describes steady, small improvements in daily abilities. Derbali says recent provincial laws and proposals on secularism have made it harder for his community to recover from the violence. Provincial officials say the measures reflect state neutrality and that the same rules apply to everyone.
Known details:
- A 2017 attack at the Islamic Cultural Centre in Quebec City killed six people; Aymen Derbali survived and lives with paralysis while acting as a community advocate.
- Derbali and other community leaders say recent secularism laws and a new Bill 9 proposed by the provincial government have increased Islamophobia and strained relations.
- The provincial government has previously passed Bill 21 (2019) and Bill 94 (adopted last year); Bill 9, tabled in November, aims to further limit public prayers in some public spaces and extend bans on religious symbols in certain settings, and Minister Jean‑François Roberge has said neutrality ensures freedom and that rules apply to everyone.
- Quebec City will take part in the ninth commemoration on Jan. 29 with a municipal ceremony, and the mosque will open its doors for community events and panels the following day.
Summary:
Survivors report that recent secularism measures have affected community relations and that advocacy and remembrance remain central to their response. Undetermined at this time.
