← NewsAll
Migrant boat sinks off Libya, at least 53 dead or missing
Summary
The UN’s International Organization for Migration says an inflatable boat that left Zawaiya capsized north of Zuwara, and two survivors were rescued while at least 53 people are reported dead or missing.
Content
An inflatable migrant boat that departed Zawaiya late Thursday capsized north of Zuwara on Friday morning, the UN's International Organization for Migration reported. Two Nigerian women were rescued by Libyan authorities and others aboard were reported dead or missing. The IOM said the boat carried around 55 people when it began taking on water. The incident is the latest on the central Mediterranean route, which the IOM describes as hazardous for migrants.
Reported details:
- The IOM reported the boat left Zawaiya shortly before midnight and capsized about six hours later north of Zuwara.
- Two Nigerian women were rescued by Libyan authorities; the rest of the passengers were reported dead or missing.
- The IOM counts this incident among the central Mediterranean casualties for 2026, which it reports as 484 dead or missing so far.
Summary:
This incident increases the IOM's reported toll on the central Mediterranean route in 2026 and underscores ongoing reports of risky crossings from Libya. Undetermined at this time.
