← NewsAll
Toronto respite centre to close early for World Cup 2026 as officials arrange alternatives
Summary
The 24-hour respite site at Toronto's Better Living Centre will stop new admissions by mid-February and conclude operations by March 15 to accommodate spring bookings tied to World Cup 2026; city officials say current residents will be offered alternative shelter spaces.
Content
The City of Toronto will close its winter respite facility at the Better Living Centre a month earlier than initially planned to accommodate pre-existing spring bookings. The seasonal 24-hour site opened in mid-December and provides shelter capacity through the winter. City spokespeople said new admissions will stop by mid-February and operations will be gradually concluded by March 15. Exhibition Place confirmed the site was licensed to the city for FIFA World Cup hosting duties and stated FIFA is not displacing the respite.
Key facts:
- The respite site at Exhibition Place is a 24-hour facility with about 250 beds and opened in mid-December.
- The city will stop accepting new admissions by mid-February and plans to end operations by March 15.
- City officials said anyone currently staying at the site will be offered alternative space within the shelter system.
- Exhibition Place confirmed the Better Living Centre was licensed to the city for World Cup hosting rights awarded in 2022 and noted FIFA is not displacing the respite.
- The city said this year's timing is similar to the previous two years at this location.
- Toronto's Winter Services Plan runs Nov. 15 to Apr. 15; this winter the city added 1,275 shelter and housing spaces and reported serving roughly 9,000 people each night as of late last year.
Summary:
The early closure shortens the operating window for this seasonal site but officials say alternative placements will be arranged for current residents through the shelter system. The closure timeline is set to conclude by March 15 and follows prior years' ramp-down patterns under the city's winter plan.
