← NewsAll
Pressure mounts to cut further funding for Homeland Security
Summary
Minnesotans lobbied Congress to withhold Homeland Security funding over federal immigration enforcement as the Senate failed to pass a DHS funding bill and officials warned the department could face a funding lapse this weekend.
Content
Minnesotans opposed to federal immigration enforcement travelled to Washington on Thursday to urge Congress to withhold funding for the Department of Homeland Security until the administration changes its enforcement approach. They met lawmakers and held public comments to press that position. The Senate failed to pass a Homeland Security funding bill before a week-long recess. Officials said the department could begin to run short of funds on Saturday if no agreement is reached.
Key facts:
- The Senate vote on a DHS funding bill fell short of the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster, with a 52–47 tally in favor of the measure.
- Department of Homeland Security officials said a lapse would be felt more by agencies such as TSA and FEMA, while ICE and Customs and Border Protection received multiyear funding last year.
- White House border czar Tom Homan announced Operation Metro Surge in Minnesota would end there, and said broader enforcement efforts would continue in other cities.
- Senate Democrats have outlined demands for reforms to immigration enforcement and have said they will not agree to full funding without concessions; Congress is now in recess and the next procedural step is undetermined.
Summary:
The failed Senate vote raises the prospect of a DHS funding lapse as advocates from Minnesota pressed lawmakers in Washington to withhold funds over immigration enforcement practices. Democrats say they will not approve full funding without specific reforms, negotiations have not produced an agreement, and with Congress in recess the next steps are undetermined.
