← NewsAll
Algonquin College delays decision on program cuts after tuition freeze lifted
Summary
Algonquin College has postponed a scheduled board decision on suspending 30 programs after Ontario announced an end to its 2019 tuition freeze and new funding for post-secondary institutions; the college says it will assess its specific funding allocation before making a final decision.
Content
Algonquin College has paused a planned board vote on cutting dozens of programs following a provincial announcement that ends a tuition freeze and provides new funding for colleges and universities. Administrators had recommended suspending 30 academic programs, which included sustainable design, journalism, financial services and hotel and restaurant management. The province said the freeze in place since 2019 will end and that billions in new program funding will be made available. The college said it will wait for details on its own funding allocation and then complete a full assessment before moving forward.
What is known:
- The board had been scheduled to review recommendations to suspend 30 programs on Feb. 23; that decision has been postponed.
- Ontario's Colleges and Universities Minister Nolan Quinn announced the end of the tuition freeze and signalled new funding for post-secondary institutions.
- Algonquin College said it will review information about its specific provincial funding allocation and then reassess the proposed program changes.
- The college previously cancelled 41 programs in 2025 and cited reduced international student revenues and funding shortfalls when it announced earlier cuts.
Summary:
The provincial funding announcement prompted Algonquin to delay its planned decision so the college can assess how new funds apply to its operations. The next procedural step is a full program assessment once the college receives details about its allocation, after which the decision will be rescheduled.
