← NewsAll
John Rustad will not seek return as B.C. Conservative leader
Summary
John Rustad announced he will not enter the B.C. Conservative leadership race after reflecting on the party's situation and said he will support the next leader; the party's leadership vote is scheduled for May 30.
Content
Former B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad said he will not enter the party's leadership race. He announced the decision in a statement posted on social media and described it as the result of "a lot of reflection." Rustad said he intends to support the next leader and help the party emerge stronger and not divided. He resigned as leader in December after a caucus letter and a board declaration of professional incapacity.
Key details:
- John Rustad announced he will not enter the B.C. Conservative leadership race and said the decision followed "a lot of reflection."
- He posted a statement on social media saying he would support the next leader and work to prevent division within the party.
- Rustad resigned as leader in December after 20 members of his caucus said they had lost confidence and the party board declared him "professionally incapacitated."
- He recently requested and received a leadership application but will not submit it.
- The party has scheduled a leadership vote for May 30; candidates are expected to submit applications signed by at least 250 members and pay a $115,000 fee to appear on the final ballot.
- Ten prospective candidates have entered the race so far, and the party holds 39 seats in the B.C. Legislature following recent dismissals and defections.
Summary:
Rustad's decision removes a recent leader from the field as the party moves toward a leadership vote on May 30. The contest requires formal applications with membership signatures and a fee, and ten prospective candidates have entered so far. The party's internal dynamics will continue to unfold through the leadership process.
