← NewsAll
Tumbler Ridge seeks normalcy as shooting's shock subsides
Summary
A reported mass shooting hit a Tumbler Ridge school and a residence last week; after a period of intense media and political attention, many residents say the town is quieter and beginning to grieve.
Content
When a reported mass shooting struck a local secondary school and a residence last Tuesday, Tumbler Ridge drew national and international attention. Federal politicians, news crews and emergency teams arrived in large numbers. In the days after, many visitors left and residents have begun the slower work of grieving and returning to routines. Local businesses and volunteers continued to support families and first responders.
Key details:
- Officials reported a mass shooting at the town's secondary school and a nearby residence last Tuesday.
- Many political figures, investigators and news crews visited; most had departed and the town centre was described as quieter by Saturday.
- Local cafes, volunteers and emergency personnel provided food, shelter and donations to families and responders.
- B.C. Premier David Eby said no student would have to return to the high school who did not want to, and officials said more information on how school will resume is expected next week.
Summary:
The town has shifted from an intense external spotlight to a quieter, inward period of grief and support, with local services and volunteers helping community needs. Officials have stated that returning to the high school will be voluntary for students and further details on school resumption are expected next week.
