← NewsAll
Trump team to present White House ballroom plans to oversight commission
Summary
The White House will present plans for a $400 million, 90,000-square-foot ballroom to the National Capital Planning Commission, chaired by Will Scharf; the process includes public informational meetings and final presentations scheduled through March.
Content
The White House is presenting plans this week for a proposed $400 million, 90,000-square-foot ballroom to a federal planning commission. The project follows the demolition of the East Wing last year and has drawn criticism from preservationists over transparency and the loss of historic space. Officials will display pictures and plans at the meeting, which is expected to be livestreamed. The review is before commissions that oversee federal building work in Washington and involves staff linked to the administration.
Key facts:
- The White House submitted a formal application in December to the National Capital Planning Commission (NCPC) and the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA).
- The NCPC informational meeting, chaired by Will Scharf (who serves as White House staff secretary), is scheduled for Jan. 8 and is expected to be livestreamed.
- The CFA will hold a public informational meeting on Jan. 15 and a final presentation on Feb. 19.
- The White House plans to make its final submission of ballroom plans to the NCPC by Jan. 30 and to present finally to that board on Mar. 5.
- A federal judge hearing a lawsuit that alleges the project abuses presidential power said last month he was not inclined to order an immediate halt to the work.
Summary:
The meetings mark the start of a formal, public review of the ballroom plans and will give the planning bodies an opportunity to examine the designs and materials the White House has presented. Officials have said the approval process is not expected to last long and scheduled informational and final presentations run through March.
Sources
Trump plots one-story West Wing expansion for White House ballroom
Daily Mail Online1/9/2026, 11:30:46 AMOpen source →
Trump plots dramatic one-story West Wing expansion too
Daily Mail Online1/8/2026, 11:40:21 PMOpen source →
Trump team to pitch White House ballroom project to oversight body led by one of his aides
Reuters1/8/2026, 11:16:41 AMOpen source →
