← NewsAll
Myanmar Rohingya genocide case opens at UN top court
Summary
A case accusing Myanmar of genocide against the Rohingya opened at the United Nations' top court on January 12, and Gambia told judges it had targeted the minority for destruction.
Content
A landmark case accusing Myanmar of genocide against the Rohingya opened at the United Nations' top court on January 12. The Gambia brought the case and told judges that Myanmar targeted the minority Muslim Rohingya for destruction and that their lives had been severely harmed. The hearing marks a formal legal examination of those allegations under international law. Details of the next procedural steps were not reported in the source.
What is known:
- The case opened at the United Nations' top court on January 12.
- Gambia presented the case and accused Myanmar of targeting the minority Muslim Rohingya for destruction.
- Gambia said the actions greatly harmed the lives of Rohingya people.
- The matter has been described in reporting as a landmark legal case.
Summary:
The opening begins a formal legal process examining allegations of genocide against the Rohingya and draws international attention to those claims. Undetermined at this time.
