← NewsAll
Flood alerts remain in place across parts of the UK after Storm Goretti
Summary
Flood alerts and warnings continue in parts of Scotland, the Midlands and the south after Storm Goretti, while thousands of homes still face power outages or limited water supply.
Content
Flood alerts and warnings remain in place across several regions of the UK after Storm Goretti. Energy Secretary Ed Miliband said around 4,000 homes were without power on Sunday evening and that 98% of those affected had had power restored. The Met Office has highlighted heavy rain and melting snow as factors increasing flood risk and has issued a yellow warning for ice. Local authorities and water companies are reporting continuing supply interruptions and have put extra arrangements in place in some areas.
Known impacts:
- Around 4,000 homes were reported without power on Sunday evening; ministers said 98% of previously cut-off properties have had power restored.
- Flood alerts and warnings remain across northern Scotland, the Midlands and parts of the south, with the River Severn near Tewkesbury and the River Tay near Perth specifically mentioned as potential risks.
- Perthshire contains 12 of the UK's 18 flood warnings.
- Thousands of homes in Kent and Sussex have limited or no water supply; South East Water cited burst pipes and power cuts, and Kent County Council declared a major incident.
Summary:
Communities in multiple regions continue to be affected by a mix of power outages, flood warnings and interruptions to water supply. Officials have declared a major incident in Kent, and water companies have said some customers may not have supply restored until tomorrow. The Met Office links the heightened flood risk to heavy rain combined with snowmelt and has issued a yellow warning for ice. Undetermined at this time.
