← NewsAll
Americans detained in Venezuela have been released, U.S. says
Summary
The U.S. State Department welcomed the reported release of multiple Americans detained in Venezuela, saying it was an important step by interim authorities after U.S. forces captured President Nicolás Maduro; Venezuelan officials and a rights group gave differing counts of those freed.
Content
Multiple Americans detained in Venezuela have been reported released, the U.S. State Department said on Tuesday and described the move as an important step by interim authorities. The announcement followed a U.S. operation earlier this month that captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. Venezuelan officials and local rights groups have offered different totals and details about the releases. Public information remains limited about who was freed and when releases occurred.
Known details:
- The U.S. State Department said it welcomed the release of multiple Americans detained in Venezuela.
- Jorge Rodríguez, head of Venezuela’s national assembly, said a significant number of Venezuelans and foreigners would be freed as a gesture to seek peace after the operation that deposed Maduro.
- The Venezuela human rights group Foro Penal confirmed 56 prisoners it said were detained for political reasons had been freed and criticized a lack of transparency; the government reported 400 freed but provided no identifying details or timeframe.
- In July, Venezuela had previously released 10 jailed U.S. citizens and permanent residents in an exchange tied to deportations to El Salvador.
Summary:
The State Department welcomed the reported releases, which come amid developments following the U.S. capture of President Maduro. Counts of those freed differ between rights groups and the government, and officials have not provided detailed lists or timelines. Undetermined at this time.
