← NewsAll
Venezuelans still need a VPN to access X, rights group says
Summary
Ve Sin Filtro says X remains blocked in Venezuela and most people must use a VPN to access it.
Content
Ve Sin Filtro, a Venezuelan digital rights group, announced there have been no meaningful changes to internet access in 2026. The group confirmed that the social network X has remained blocked since August 8, 2024. Rumors that the block had been lifted followed reports of President Nicolás Maduro's capture, but the organisation said those reports were incorrect. The group's monitoring shows state control of the internet increased during 2025.
Key points:
- Ve Sin Filtro says X was suspended on August 8, 2024 and remains blocked on major ISPs, including the state-owned CANTV.
- The organisation reports that most people in Venezuela can only reach X by using VPNs or similar tools.
- Monitoring found other platforms such as Signal, YouTube, TikTok, and Telegram are still subject to restrictions, sometimes intermittently.
- At least 61 independent media outlets remain blocked, and Ve Sin Filtro has developed a censorship-resistant newsreader app.
Summary:
The reported situation means official internet restrictions are continuing and many users rely on circumvention tools to reach blocked services. Undetermined at this time.
