← NewsAll
NASA astronauts speak publicly after emergency medical evacuation
Summary
Astronauts evacuated from the International Space Station spoke publicly after a rare medical evacuation, and one crew member said the onboard portable ultrasound "came in super handy".
Content
The astronauts who were evacuated from the International Space Station spoke to the media on Thursday about last week's emergency medical evacuation. It was announced as NASA's first medical evacuation in 65 years of human spaceflight. NASA's Zena Cardman and Mike Fincke returned alongside Japan's Kimiya Yui and Russia's Oleg Platonov. The crew did not disclose which person required medical attention or the nature of the issue.
Reported details:
- The public appearance took place on Thursday, 22 January.
- NASA said this was its first medical evacuation in 65 years of human spaceflight.
- NASA astronauts Zena Cardman and Mike Fincke were among those who returned.
- Japan's Kimiya Yui and Russia's Oleg Platonov also joined the return to Earth.
- Mike Fincke said the onboard portable ultrasound "came in super handy" and recommended having one on future flights.
- The astronauts did not identify who needed medical attention or explain the medical reason.
Summary:
The evacuation is reported as the first medical evacuation in 65 years of human spaceflight, and the crew highlighted the usefulness of an onboard portable ultrasound. Undetermined at this time.
