← NewsAll
Landslides in New Zealand leave two confirmed dead
Summary
Landslides struck a house in Welcome Bay and a campground at Mount Maunganui, and two people were confirmed dead after the first slide; rescue teams were searching for several people unaccounted for and no further bodies had been recovered by late Thursday. Undetermined at this time.
Content
Landslides struck a house in Welcome Bay and a campground at the base of Mount Maunganui on Thursday morning. Officials reported two people found dead in the house and said emergency teams were conducting searches at the campground site. Heavy rain affected large areas of the North Island during the same period and contributed to hazardous conditions. Authorities said they were supporting affected communities as searches continued.
Known details:
- A landslide hit a house in Welcome Bay at about 4:50am; two people escaped and two people trapped inside were later recovered dead.
- A separate slide occurred at Beachside Holiday Park at the base of Mount Maunganui; vehicles and park structures were affected and the campground was closed.
- Police described the number of people missing as being in the "single figures."
- By late Thursday, no survivors or additional bodies had been recovered at the Mount Maunganui site and search teams, including dogs, were working at the scene.
Summary:
Rescue teams continued searches at Mount Maunganui while officials confirmed two deaths from the Welcome Bay slide and reported several people unaccounted for. The broader situation involved heavy rain across the North Island and government support was reported as in place. Undetermined at this time.
