← NewsAll
Swiss bar fire reaches 41 deaths after teenager dies in hospital
Summary
An 18-year-old who was injured in the New Year's Eve fire at the Le Constellation bar died in a Zurich hospital, bringing the reported death toll to 41; the Swiss public prosecutor said no further investigative details will be released at this stage.
Content
An 18-year-old who had been injured in the New Year's Eve fire at the Le Constellation bar in Crans-Montana died in a Zurich hospital on Saturday. The Swiss public prosecutor announced the death and said no further information on the investigation will be provided at this stage. Authorities have been investigating the cause of the January 1 blaze and whether safety rules and materials at the venue complied with regulations. The bar owners have been made subjects of a criminal inquiry and legal proceedings have been under way.
Known details:
- The victim was an 18-year-old who died in hospital, bringing the reported death toll to 41.
- The public prosecutor announced the death and stated that no further investigative details will be released at this stage.
- Investigators reported that sparkler candles on champagne bottles may have ignited foam on the bar ceiling and are examining whether soundproofing and other materials met regulations.
- Bar owners Jacques and Jessica Moretti are the subjects of a criminal investigation; Jacques was initially held in pre-trial detention and later released on bail.
Summary:
The reported death increases the toll and extends the ongoing legal and regulatory inquiries related to the New Year's Eve fire. Investigations continue into the cause and compliance with safety rules, and the public prosecutor has limited public comment on the status of the probe at this time.
