← NewsAll
Arrests of Don Lemon and Georgia Fort raise concerns for press freedom
Summary
Federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment naming journalists Don Lemon and Georgia Fort over reporting on a January 18 protest at a St. Paul church; a federal magistrate judge had previously declined to sign an arrest warrant for Lemon and a judge said there was no evidence he engaged in criminal behavior.
Content
Federal prosecutors have unsealed an indictment that names journalists Don Lemon and Georgia Fort in connection with reporting on a January 18 protest at the Cities church in St. Paul. The indictment alleges they conspired to deprive others of constitutional rights and obstructed the free exercise of religion. The article describes longstanding journalistic practice of reporting from demonstrations and says the charges have prompted concerns about press freedoms. A federal magistrate judge previously declined to sign an arrest warrant for Lemon, and a federal judge noted there was no evidence he engaged in criminal behavior.
Known details:
- On January 18, protesters entered the Cities church in St. Paul, where an Immigration and Customs Enforcement official is a pastor, and Lemon and Georgia Fort reported from the scene.
- The Department of Justice unsealed an indictment charging the journalists with conspiring to deprive others of constitutional rights and with obstructing the free exercise of religion.
- The charges are felony offenses that the article notes carry criminal penalties and potential prison terms.
- A federal magistrate judge declined to sign an arrest warrant for Don Lemon, and another judge stated there was no evidence he engaged in criminal behavior.
Summary:
The indictment has been unsealed and the two journalists now face federal charges that the article frames as raising concerns about press freedom. A prior magistrate judge refused to sign an arrest warrant for Lemon and a judge commented on a lack of evidence. Undetermined at this time.
