← NewsAll
Mossmorran plant ends production as union criticises early closure
Summary
ExxonMobil’s Fife Ethylene Plant at Mossmorran stopped production on February 2, and Unite says the plant was closed earlier than planned; the company says decommissioning will continue with work expected to finish by early 2028.
Content
ExxonMobil has permanently stopped production at the Fife Ethylene Plant at Mossmorran, announcing operations ended on February 2. Unite criticised the firm, saying the plant was closed earlier than planned. The closure follows an announcement last year that the site was no longer financially viable and that around 400 jobs were at risk. Scottish ministers and local politicians have commented and outlined support measures.
What is known:
- Production ended on February 2 and ExxonMobil said the plant will be fully decommissioned and made safe, with the process expected to be completed by early 2028.
- No immediate job losses were reported as a direct result of the end of production; company figures indicate 69 staff will leave at the end of April, 90 will remain to complete decommissioning and will leave in three waves, and 20 staff have chosen to relocate to other parts of ExxonMobil's UK operations.
- Unite's general secretary Sharon Graham criticised the early closure and warned of the impact on the local community; the union noted the plant had been flagged as at risk when the closure was announced last year.
- The Scottish Government said it is offering support, including a committed £9 million over three years and employability measures, while opposition politicians described the closure as a blow for the area.
Summary:
The shutdown ends more than 40 years of operation at Mossmorran and is expected to lead to staged departures as decommissioning proceeds. Officials say the site will be made safe and dismantled, with decommissioning work due to finish by early 2028 and government support measures in place for affected workers.
