← NewsAll
Rail unions in Spain call off strike after safety measures agreed
Summary
Spain's main rail unions called off a planned three-day nationwide strike after the Transport Ministry, Adif and Renfe agreed to steps on investment, staffing and safety procedures; some smaller unions said they would continue strikes until Wednesday.
Content
Spain's main rail unions called off a planned three-day nationwide strike after authorities agreed to boost investment, reinforce staffing and tighten safety procedures. The move follows a string of recent train accidents that prompted public concern about rail safety. The Transport Ministry, infrastructure operator Adif and state-owned Renfe committed to measures to improve safety management and clarify responsibilities, according to union statements. Some smaller unions said they were excluded from the talks and planned to continue strike action until Wednesday.
Key facts:
- Major unions including SEMAF, CCOO and UGT announced they would call off the three-day nationwide strike after reaching a deal with authorities.
- Authorities (the Transport Ministry, Adif and Renfe) committed to measures on investment, staffing and safety management as reported by unions.
- Smaller unions CGT and Sindicato Ferroviario said they were not part of the talks and intended to keep striking until Wednesday.
- The planned strike had already led to some cancellations and delays; the Transport Ministry set minimum service levels of 73% for long-distance, 75% for commuter services at rush hour and 50% during off-peak hours.
Summary:
The agreement averted the nationwide walkout and is reported to include commitments on investment, staffing and safety procedures. Major unions said they would monitor implementation while some smaller unions continued with planned strike action; implementation and monitoring are the immediate next steps.
