← NewsAll
Wine merchant Victor Schwartz wins Supreme Court case over tariffs
Summary
Victor Schwartz, a New York wine importer, sued the US government over presidential tariffs and the US Supreme Court ruled in his favor; the White House then issued a separate 10% global tariff by executive order.
Content
Victor Schwartz is a 67-year-old New York wine merchant who owns VOS Selections in Manhattan. He sued the US government last April, arguing the president lacked authority to impose tariffs without congressional approval. On Friday the US Supreme Court ruled in his favor and struck down the tariffs as they had been applied. The White House later announced an executive order imposing a new 10% global tariff.
Key facts:
- Schwartz said he founded VOS Selections in 1987 and feared the tariffs would harm his small business.
- His lawsuit was filed with the nonprofit Liberty Justice Center, and he served as lead plaintiff.
- He estimated he paid six figures in tariffs after the April 2 announcement of reciprocal tariffs.
- The Supreme Court did not decide whether or how the government should provide refunds for tariffs already collected.
- The White House said the new 10% global tariff invoked Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974.
- The administration noted those tariffs can last up to 150 days and any extension would require congressional approval.
Summary:
The court decision removed the legal basis for the tariffs as they had been applied and was described by Schwartz as a win for businesses and consumers. The administration then issued a separate 10% global tariff under Section 122, which can remain for 150 days and would need congressional approval to extend. The Supreme Court left unresolved the question of refunds for tariffs already collected. Undetermined at this time.
