← NewsAll
Newsom extends migrant trucking licenses despite Transportation Secretary Duffy's directive
Summary
California's DMV delayed cancellation of about 17,000 migrant commercial driver's licenses for 60 days and said those drivers may retake the state driving test; Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy warned $160 million in federal funding could be withheld and the matter is the subject of litigation.
Content
California has delayed cancelling roughly 17,000 commercial driver's licenses held by migrant truckers, giving those drivers a 60-day extension and the opportunity to retake the state driving test. The Department of Motor Vehicles announced the delay last week. The state's action contrasts with a federal directive from Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy to cancel the licenses. The development has led to a warning about potential federal funding impacts and ongoing litigation in California.
Key points:
- The California DMV announced a 60-day delay in cancelling about 17,000 commercial driver's licenses held by migrant truckers and said eligible drivers may retake the state driving test to renew their licenses.
- U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy warned that the federal government could withhold $160 million in funding if the licenses are not cancelled by January 5.
- Immigrant drivers have filed a lawsuit in California seeking to block the federal cancellations.
- DMV Director Steve Gordon said commercial drivers are important to supply chains and community connections, according to reporting.
Summary:
The issue has created a direct state-federal dispute over application of federal licensing changes and has practical implications for thousands of commercial drivers and for federal transportation funding. Immediate developments include the January 5 deadline cited by Secretary Duffy and ongoing court proceedings; the ultimate outcome is undetermined at this time.
