← NewsAll
David Harbour leaves new film after saying he was 'overwhelmed'.
Summary
Searchlight Pictures and Variety say David Harbour has left Tony Gilroy's film Behemoth!, reportedly because he was overwhelmed after the Stranger Things finale; his role has been recast but the new actor is not yet identified.
Content
David Harbour has exited Tony Gilroy's upcoming film Behemoth!, a move Searchlight Pictures confirmed to Variety. Insiders told Variety that Harbour felt overwhelmed after the conclusion of Stranger Things and stepped away from the project to rest. The film had been set to include Pedro Pascal, Olivia Wilde and Matthew Lillard alongside Harbour. Harbour recently completed a five-season run as Jim Hopper on Stranger Things.
What we know:
- Searchlight Pictures confirmed to Variety that Harbour will no longer star in Behemoth!.
- Insiders told Variety Harbour was overwhelmed by the end of Stranger Things and stepped away from the project to rest.
- The role Harbour was to play has reportedly been recast, and the identity of the replacement has not been disclosed.
- Stranger Things ended with a series finale on Dec. 31, marking the close of the show's multi-season run and Harbour's tenure as Jim Hopper.
- Media reports during the show's final press cycle included an account of a reported hat incident and a separate report that alleged a bullying and harassment complaint involving a co-star.
- Reports note that Harbour was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at age 26, a detail that has been mentioned in coverage of his recent press activity.
Summary:
Harbour's departure removes him from the Tony Gilroy drama Behemoth!, and the production has proceeded toward a recast for his role. Reports say the decision followed the end of Stranger Things and that Harbour stepped away to rest. The identity of the actor now set to play the role is undetermined at this time.
Sources
Will Arnett Set To Replace Stranger Things Alum David Harbour in Tony Gilroy's Behemoth!
IGN Southeast Asia1/9/2026, 2:15:17 AMOpen source →
'Stranger Things' star David Harbour bows out of filming next movie
USA Today1/7/2026, 10:21:37 PMOpen source →
David Harbour Drops Out of Upcoming Movie From the Creator of Andor, Allegedly to Rest After Feeling 'Overwhelmed' by Stranger Things Wrap Up
IGN Southeast Asia1/7/2026, 2:03:04 PMOpen source →
David Harbour Drops Out of Upcoming Movie From the Creator of Andor, Allegedly to Rest After Feeling 'Overwhelmed' by Stranger Things Wrap Up - IGN
IGN1/7/2026, 1:32:18 PMOpen source →
David Harbour unexpectedly quits new movie due to being 'overwhelmed'...
New York Post1/7/2026, 1:17:57 PMOpen source →
